Tuesday 27 October 2009

School magazine evaluation

Our task was to create the front page and contents page for a school magazine. My target audience was 6 formers. To find out what they wanted in it in and to see if it would see, I created a questionnaire. This was so i could get ideas of what cover lines i would use and what articles i would use inside on the contents page. Now i knew what people would want to read about, i could start coming up with ideas for the front page and cover lines. I then had to come up with a name and I choose connect. I through this would be good because connect could mean that the magazine connects with the people in the 6 form and I didn’t sound too childish. I think I have attracted my target audience well but I think I should have used more adult like fonts and possibly have included more adult themes like safe sex.
I have leant that planning a task like this is very important as it helps you think about what you need to include and what features should be used. I have leant that when you design a magazine it is important to come up with a drawn version of it first so you can see what it may look like and then decide what changes you think it would make it look better. Doing this task, I have learnt allot about using programs such as macromedia fireworks. This means that when it comes to producing the main music magazine I know more about fireworks and how I can make it look better and get a better grade.
I think that my product is quite well designed because it doesn’t have more than three different colours on the front page or the contents page. I think that the colour of the writing over the picture of road runner could have been a different colour as it is quite hard to read what it says. I think putting the yellow writing over the black was a good decision as it is easy to see and quite pleasing on the eye. As my magazine was a Halloween special, I think that having the masthead designed like it was, was a good idea because the cob webs give it a scary feel and you can easily tell that it is a Halloween special. I think having a USP (unique selling point) was a good idea as it would make the magazine more attractive to readers ad people who are not sure if they would want to buy it. I think that if the front page had more pictures on it then it would look more attractive.
In the contents page, I have stilled stayed with the same colour scheme as this makes it look neater and more attractive. I think that I have got the right amount of pictures on the contents page because if I had to many then I wouldn’t be able to fit all of articles on and if there was any less then it wouldn’t look as good. I have stuck with the three colours scheme and still using the same scheme as the front page. I think that the picture of Miss Brookes in the bottom left hand of the page could of been bigger and more clearer.
In the main task I will make sure I do allot more planning and will make sure I ask a bigger sample size when it comes down to my questionnaire because then I know what more people want rather than just what I think looks good. I will also make sure that all the colours all blend in well and that everything is still easy to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment